Thank you for your interest in the U.S. Service Academies. As your 5th District Representative in the U.S. House of Representatives, I have the privilege of nominating a limited number of young leaders to four of the five service academies:
U.S. Military Academy (USMA), West Point, NY
U.S. Naval Academy (USNA), Annapolis, MD
U.S. Air Force Academy (USAFA), Colorado Springs, CO
U.S. Merchant Marine Academy (USMMA), Kings Point, NY.
The fifth service academy, the U.S. Coast Guard Academy (USCGA), New London, CT, does not require a congressional nomination for appointment. Congresswoman Horn may nominate up to ten individuals for each academy slot allotted to Oklahoma’s 5th Congressional District.
The deadline to apply for a 2020-2021 nomination is midnight November 1, 2020.
The nomination application period opens March 15th of each year for those candidates who are high school juniors and will be seniors the following school year, or who have already graduated. Each applicant for a nomination must meet the following eligibility requirements as of July 1st of the year of admission to an academy:
- Age: Be at least 17 years old, but not have passed the 23rd birthday
- Citizenship: Must be a U.S. citizen
- Marital Status: Must be unmarried, not pregnant, and without legal obligation to support children or other dependents
- Residence: Must reside within the boundaries of the 5th Congressional District of Oklahoma
- Skill / Fitness: Must meet the medical, physical, and academic requirements of the Academy
The honor of attending a service academy comes with the obligation and commitment to serve in the military for a minimum of five years upon graduation.
All applicants should review the page of Frequently Asked Questions before applying.
To request a nomination to a U.S. Service Academy from Congresswoman Kendra Horn, please fill out and submit the form below along with the following materials:
Minimum of three letters of recommendation from individuals you know personally who are not family members
- Transcripts from all high schools and/or colleges attended
- American College Testing Program (ACT) results and/or College Board Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT) results
- Resume of extracurricular activities and leadership responsibilities
- An essay stating why you want to attend a service academy (500 words or less)